Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Howdy folks. I'm Back. my computer has been down for the past couple months or so. Actually, it's still down. I'm working on this piece on the computer at YDI.
  Anyway, I've been reading  Myth of a Christian Religion.  It's an interesting book.
  I got to the part where he was talking about pastors and evangelists doing these great things. Saving and converting people to Christ. But it was all done without the love of Christ. So in the end it all counted as nothing. Paul writes in Corinthians, I think, saying that "I can give money to the poor. I can pray to god, even give my body to be burned at the stake. But if I have not love, it profits me not."   It got me to thinking. Do i have love like that? Well, If i'm honest with myself I think the answer would be no. Oh I love people and all that , but not the way that Christ would have me to be. I condemn when I should be overlooking  that "speck in someones eye". I gossip with the best of them when I should be defending who we are talking about. Get short with people when patience is needed. All of these are relatively small by themselves, but it adds up. Especially when you look at how many things in your life God has already overlooked. There is another saying in the bible "He who has been forgiven much, forgive much. Many times we forget how many times we have been forgiven by both God and man. Often we just see what is in front of us and don't stop and think. "Hey wait a minute! I've done stuff like that before."  We fail to check "The log in our eye." Now when I say "We" I mean "I" as well.
  Christ's love is as simple as "Love you neighbor as you would love yourself." or "Do to others as you would have them do to you." There is another part in M.O.C.R. that talks about the church torturing people for not following Christ their way. He said that there was no way that that was Christ. Christ said "Love your enemies".
  Ok, we don't kill and torture people "in the name of Christ" but do we make people want to be with us or do we turn people away with our "zeal" for Christ?  Boyd talks about how Jesus was hanging out with what the Jewish religious leaders considered the bottom of the food chain. Jesus had a kind of holiness that attracted and drew these kind of people to him. We, as a village, I think, are getting more and more like that. Where people feel safe around us, where they won't feel condemned for their shortcomings. So keep up the good work fellow villagers.  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome innards there! It's good to read what's rumbling there inside! Keep it coming! Love you! ~ Hannah

    ReplyDelete